Sunday, June 7, 2015

Grand Canyon

I didn't know where to put this photo, but it is really precious to me. This is Maggie with my grandma Peggy, Margaret, who we named Maggie after. She was so sweet to Maggie, gave her a classic cabbage patch doll and all the candy a little girl could eat (or at least what her mother would feel comfort with). She has been the grandma I have known the longest and am so grateful for her love. 


We ended the trip with camping at the Grand Canyon. I have to say that I wasn't the most thrilled about this, but it has been on Mike's list, so we went for it. I was impressed. We went at the right time of year when all the vegetation was green, the sky was over cast, and the red rock popped. We met up with our friends, the Potters. It was Sam's first time camping and it was a horrible night. Mike ended up driving him around until he fell asleep and they both slept in the car. Maggie crawled onto the air mattress with me and ended up pushing me for unto the floor. I guess camping is a learned skill.



The next day we hiked down to the first look out. All the way down, we joked about flash floods. The moment we reach Ooh Aah Point (yes, that was the real titled), black clouds rolled in and dumped on us. As you can see, our children were not dressed for the hail and rain. We tried to make it back as fast as we could, but the lightening was getting so bad that we would have to hide under the cliffs until it calmed down a bit. Sam did okay because he was in the Ergo, so my body kept him warm. Maggie was in the hiking carrier and was turning blue. A kind stranger offered his jacket to her. Of course, the moment we got to the top, it stopped raining. We ended up scraping our PB&Js and got chili and hot chocolate from the cafe.




**What a ham**




Can you see the black clouds coming?


They survived, barely.


We were planning on staying another night, but we figured it was only going to be colder at night (it was 37 the night before) and our kids sleep horribly, we packed u our stuff, walked around the rim one more time, and drove half way home and stayed in a hotel. We all slept amazing, got to go swimming in the morning, and thankfully got home an hour before a horrific flood in Lubbock.



1 comment:

Nicole and Garrett said...

That's scary! The other day I got caught in the rain while jogging with both kids in the stroller. I felt so bad!