Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Field Trip to the ER

Well, most of you know that Mike and I had quite an eventful weekend. It started on Friday night when I thought I had ate something bad for dinner. It left me with a stomach ache and a dreadful relationship with the bathroom. I tried to go to work the next day, but I only lasted two hours. After a long nap, I complained to Mike about some pain I was having. I normally have aches and pains because of pregnancy, but this one was different. When I pointed to where it was, Mike immediately told me it had to be the appendix and that they had just learned about it in class. Yeah right Mike. I thought he was being dramatic and just fitting my symptoms to the latest disease he has learned in class. We called his dad and sure enough he told us to head to the ER.

The ER was such a long wait. Mike brought his school work with him because he had his big anatomy final on Monday (one reason why I didn't want to go to the ER, I knew he had a lot to study). Since I had the time, I went onto WebMD to look up the effects of appendicitis on pregnancy. Bad idea. It dropped all these fetus death statistics that just made me cry. After 2 hours, we finally got to see the doctor. The problem was that in most cases, the doctor will run a CAT scan to confirm an appendicitis, but being pregnant, I couldn't do that. They had to bring in the ER doctor, the surgery department, the OB department, the radiology department, and the family medicine team to decide what they were going to do. They tried an ultrasound, but the appendix is too far in there to see.

So, the decision of whether to operate came down to my story. It was so hard because I am trying to be as truthful as possible but when they ask me questions like rank your pain from 1-10, I don't know what to say. It was such a hard decision because the live of our baby depended on it, and Mike and I didn't feel inspire on which decision would be best. We were given a blessing, but nothing was said about the baby, so in my mind, I thought for sure the baby wasn't going to make it.

After a lot of tears and prayers, we decided to go for the surgery. Mike couldn't be in the operating room (though I tried to pull the med student card). When they rolled me into the room, it totally felt like a movie with the huge light overhead, people strapping wires all over my body, and finally ending with the mask that was shoved over my mouth. Just like that, I was out.

The surgery went well, and the baby was fine. The nurses monitored the heart rate throughout the night, meaning I didn't get much sleep. We were able to leave Sunday afternoon, and I have been resting since. Mike and I feel so blessed during this whole experience. We really felt loved by our family and friends, and especially by the Lord. Though it might have felt like he was not there when we needed to make that decision, this experience has really increased our faith that the Lord is watching over us. It was also a humbling experience. Before, all I cared about was finding the perfect girl crafts on pinterest because all I wanted was a girl. Now, I am so blessed that we are still having a baby. I just pray that it stays healthy. Boy or girl, this child is loved.

**Sorry there are no pictures for this post. Mike keep asking me if I wanted him to take pictures at the hospital. That would be embarrassing. I asked to see my pussy appendix, but they said they couldn't. Josh wanted to to take pictures of my scars, but I will save everyone of the nightmares.

7 comments:

Mandy Hixson said...

wow that's so scary! I'm glad everything went well.

Rachel & Darrin said...

that sounds so scary, I'm so happy that everything turned out okay. I can't imagine your feelings thinking that you might lose your baby. What a great thing to know Heavenly Father is watching over you, Mike, and your little boy or girl!

Nicole and Garrett said...

:( We were so worried about you! I glad everything turned out ok.

The Sabeys said...

Wow. Scary. I am so glad you are okay and all is well with the baby. Take care of yourself. Just relax and rest and take it easy.

Erinn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

WOW! That is crazy! I'm glad that everything worked out!

Matthew and Katherine Kerr said...

This is so scary! I'm glad to know everything is all right, but that is just terrible timing for an appendectomy!