Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Ode to E

Life as a fifth grade teacher have their up and downs. However bad the day can be, these students also keep me laughing. This post is devoted to one of my more "unique" students. She was one of the two students that I actually meeting back in May during "Meet Your Teacher" Day. It seems that when anyone walks into my classroom, E is the only one they happen to remember. She is the only one that can make concert choir into an interpretive dance festival and make an ordinary birthday song into a dramatic performance. Her good writing skills mixed with an imagination that makes my mom seem normal sure makes a heck of a story to read (usually involving night-fighting ninjas and booger-engulfing balls in the same paragraph).

Today, E came up to me during the middle of our writing lessons. Usually if a student comes ups to me in the middle of something, it is because they are bleeding, barfing, or broken. Knowing her, I am expecting the worse. I embrace myself to grab the trash bin to catch whatever bodily fluid may be coming up. So in her high-pitch most sincere voice, "Mrs. Matthews, I am in a play and I need to get a giant, green monster costume together. You know, like a huge head and long finger nails. Do you have anything that would work?" This type of situation occurs fifty times a day. I had two choices, neither get upset and have her pull her card for not being responsible, or laugh it off and send her back to her desk. Trust me, I have chosen the first plenty of time and it doesn't seem to change E. So I choose the second and keep my day going well.

So thank you E for keeping me laughing, along with the whole staff after today's choir performance.

No comments: