Sunday, December 12, 2010

Me as a Doctor: FAIL

First, this is me, Mike, for all of you out there. I was told by a friend I need to specify this because people are getting confused about when I post vs. when Katie posts. I think that's a bad sign for me; no guy wants his writing to be confused with his wife's. I will try to be more manly in my writing style.

Anyways, so, its safe to say that I am not the most immunocompetent person in the world. In fact, I feel like I'm always on the verge of getting sick. However, Katie is quite the opposite. In the 2 1/2 years we've been married, she has only been sick once, and that was on our honeymoon. No sore throat, no cough, not even a little runny nose...until about 3 weeks ago. I guess even Katie's robust immune system isn't enough for spending every day with a classroom full of ten-year old piles of bacteria. Right before Thanksgiving, she came down with a sore throat and cough.

Now, again, I haven't really seen a sick Katie my whole life, so this was new to me. I think it was new to her also, because she complained a lot. I tried to be sweet to her, but after 2 weeks my patience was running thin for complaining. Last Sunday we were sitting on the couch, and Katie turned to me, her future doctor, seeking medical advice. Here is a brief synopsis of our conversation:

Katie: Mike, I've been sick for a long time.
Mike: I'm so sorry, you should be getting better soon. Can I do anything for you?
Katie: I think I have pneumonia. What do you think?
Mike: You don't have pneumonia. You'll be okay in a few days.
Katie: What about bronchitis? What does bronchitis feel like?
Mike: I'm pretty sure you just have a cold.
Katie: No, I'm pretty sure I have bronchitis.
Mike: You just said you don't even know what bronchitis feels like.
Katie: I have bronchitis Mike. I need some medicine. I'm calling your dad.
Mike: Its 10:30 at night! My dad is in bed. Just relax. You probably just have a cold anyways.
Katie: No, I have bronchitis, I'm calling.

Call to Dr. Matthews

Katie: Ha! Your dad says I have bronchitis.
My thoughts: I stink at this.

Anyways, I expect nobody to be coming to me for medical advice any time soon.



5 comments:

Jodi said...

ha mike! that's funny. my mom thinks tyler's already a doctor too. don't worry, we don't expect you to be all-knowing...yet

Carly said...

I ask Gary all the time about my injuries and he just laughs...and pats my head.
He is in the makings of becoming a great one too...

Tommy said...

"How about some Percocet?" That's the only line you need to know and you'll be the most popular doctor regardless.

Megan Potter said...

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be better after going through Medical School!! What does bronchitis feel like anyway Katie?

Kelli said...

This provides further evidence why doctors will be obsolete in the future. Computers are the wave of the future, because let's get real, all doctors do is go down a checklist and diagnose with common symptons. (I have seen House, so i know, and am still amazed it seems to take them 55 minutes each time) So next time, instead of going to a doctor might i suggest webmd.com