Tuesday, August 24, 2010

First Day of School

Kelli told me that I needed to record my wonderful encounters as a first year teacher. You can already infer that since I am writing this post, that I at least survived my first day. The day did go well for the most part. Last night was back to school night and there were a few parents that approached me with information that I would need to know right away (peanut allergy, language ability, etc.) Well today, I started with an activity that would introduce the rules. I had the students pop balloons with situations in there that they had to determine if it was a good situation or bad and what rule would encourage that behavior. As soon I as I pulled out the balloons, a girl came up to me and told me she was allergic to them. By them, the students had already touched them. I just sent her out to the hall while we did the activity. Afterward, I had every student wash their hands while I wiped down all the desk. When she came back in, I just told her to tell me if she feels the reaction at all. She seemed to be good until a half hour later. "Mrs. Matthews, my lip is swelling". Oh my word, I had to send her to the office, where her mom brought benadryl. Her lip was better, but she was dozing off for the rest of the day. Since no one died, I guess I can call it a success.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Yea! Can't wait for more stories!

Nicole and Garrett said...

Oh no! Who would have ever thought?

Evan and Holly said...

Wow! And that was the first day! It'll be great, don't worry. That is mostly how I end my days--no one died so it must have been a success!

Matthew and Katherine Kerr said...

BAHAHAHAHA You're going to be a great teacher if you can handle a day like that! Congrats!

Jodi said...

hahaha! i'm sorry but that makes me laugh because i know how incredibly difficult teaching is. situations like that are funny to those who aren't in them, but not so funny to the teacher. you'll survive and you'll be great.